Saturday 16 October 2021

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN RITUALS


I DO NOT BELIEVE IN RITUALS


I do not believe in a single ritual. Rituals, however significant they may be in the eyes of the devout or otherwise, go against the grain of my upbringing, culture, education, nature and my fundamental realization that it is man who is holy and not books or creed or practices.


Man is the supreme being in his ultimate Self and is subservient to none so long as he does not harm any.


Rituals invariably bind man and retard his onward evolutionary progress. They are the handiwork of priests and form the body of priestcraft. They form as such also the commercial basis of common religion. This I reject. To me religion is the affirmation that everything is holy in man and in the universe in essence, and is the path to attainment of such essential holiness, the perception of one's infinitude in eternal freedom. Moderns call this spirituality but I call it religion. It is dogma-free, doctrine-free struggle for one's inherent perfection and the attainment of it. This is my stance on religion. Om !


Written by Sugata Bose

No comments:

Post a Comment