Friday 21 June 2019

IN DEFENCE OF MY LITERARY OUTPOURING AND THE WAY IT IS


IN DEFENCE OF MY LITERARY OUTPOURING AND THE WAY IT IS

I remain a neutral writer, unaffiliated to any political party. My conscience and consciousness prompt me to write ceaselessly in defence of humanity.

I do understand that human attributes, experiences and tendencies colour people's views on life and quite often align them to this political ideology and organisation or that, but this also is equally true thatthere are some who manage to avoid such sectarian trappings. Fortunately for me, I belong to this latter group of universal sympathies and, as such, can wield my pen for the cause of all without fear or favour, prejudice or pretence. This is baffling to some who fail to fathom the philosophy of the Vedanta and its two modern proponents who inspire me unto this universal acceptance. They are, of course, if you have not guessed it yet, Ramakrishna and Vivekananda who have shaped the course of my life till date. It is their benediction that I carry, their spiritual charge that I unfold and it is their power that achieves whatever through this insignificant form I erroneously address as 'myself'.

But these are immense personalities and cannot be contained within the narrow confines of the Prime Ministerial or the Chief Ministerial chair. Hence, to imagine that I, who follow these gigantic personalities as my life's idols, will be cowering under political pressure and, so, fail to discharge my duties to humanity, or that I will be persuaded into being partisan, is a monumental folly. I am strictly apolitical, completely neutral in judgement but fiercely articulate on all issues that affect humanity or threaten its future sustenance, either en masse or in part.

I am alive to the heresies of history, the betrayals we as a nation have had to suffer at the hands of invaders, their persecutions and proselytising, their cultural desecration and loot of our resources, and above all, their perfidious infliction of Partition which has maimed our motherland for good. When I react against these historical heresies, I may appear to be partisan, communal et al, but I am not so in real. I am patriotic to the core and believe, like Swamiji did, that the Sanatan Dharma contains the seeds of the future harmonious mingling of humanity and that the destruction of the culture of the Vedas will in effect spell the doom for the whole of humankind.

My adherence to the universal spirit of the Upanishads need not be misconstrued as narrow parochialism but must be interpreted as my adherence to the highest principles of spiritual realisation. When in the course of day-to-day living I express my views, they must be understood as my spontaneous intellectual stance on matters temporal, viewed, though, in the deeper spiritual light. As such, my observations reflect my concern for the prospective or deferred spiritual evolution of humankind and have no bearing in terms of political mileage that may be derived from such express articulation.

This simple submission should disarm those who view me with suspicion and consider my writings as partisan. I reiterate, I am strictly apolitical a person, completely unbiased in judgement on contentious issues that attract my literary attention and am happily unconcerned about what others think of my writing, so detached am I with regard to the fruits of my labour of love. Mine is the right to work, not to attempt enjoyment of the fruits thereof.

May He, who is the mover of every atom, also empower me with the little that I need to come across fine in the thoroughfare of life, unbiased, unpretentious, unmoved by the mercenary motivations of profit or the despicable drive for power !

So, here I end this rather elaborate submission of my political neutrality as also my pronounced patriotism and uninhibited human sympathies. May God grant me the power to do justice to the cause of suffering humanity ! Vande Mataram ! Jai Hind !

Written by Sugata Bose

No comments:

Post a Comment