Tuesday 11 September 2018

A LETTER TO A FACEBOOK FRIEND FROM AN UNLETTERED MAN

A LETTER TO A FACEBOOK FRIEND FROM AN UNLETTERED MAN

Dear facebook friend (name not revealed to preserve privacy of the person pertinent to the post),

You are under an erroneous impression that I am Netaji's grand nephew and am a TMC MP at that. Well, I am not so by any stretch of imagination. I am quite another Sugata Bose of a different lineage, and proudly so, and am neither a political personality, far from being a Member of Parliament.

You have thanked me for my public confession that I am not the one others confuse me to be and you have added that you have never addressed me as Netaji's grand nephew as such and that I should, therefore, happily continue to be TMC MP? Well, what are you talking about? I am not an MP, TMC or otherwise, do you not understand? And where have I ever said that I was a descendant of Netaji? So, where is the call to confess publicly or otherwise? Read my profile picture, cover picture and my characteristics attributed in the 'Details About You' of the 'About' section on my profile wall and arrive at your rational conclusions thereof.

I appreciate that you value my association as your facebook friend but I cannot quite appreciate the fact that you choose to live in clouded comprehension as to who I am despite my emphatic declarations to the contrary. You say that it does not matter to you as to who I am, although, you continuously portray me before all as a Parliamentarian who ought to take some legitimate actions in pertinent national affairs. This, my friend, is a double standard, I must say, and does not stand either the test of reason or of ethical bearing of any kind. You must be under no delusion whatsoever about my identity as it is improper and based not on truth. When you address me or mention my name in public, you ought to be clear as to who I am, for sure. Otherwise, it will be a travesty of human relations, social proprieties and ethical considerations, leave aside other derivatives of these.

Of course, I am your facebook friend, but the number of misapprehensions and even allegations I have been subjected to over the years on account of my name being Sugata Bose, despite my facial features being quite apart from the other one from Netaji Bose's extended family, prompts me to express my obvious annoyance, and my rejoinder thus must be understood in the correct light and my status honoured duly.

With love and continuing friendship I remain,
Yours sincerely,
Sugata Bose.

Photo : At The Terrace Garden of Taj Bengal, Kolkata, 1 December, 2011, on the occasion of 'The Centenary Memorial Meeting of Mother Teresa'. Here I am seen asking His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, the guest speaker, a question during the interactive session following his speech. I addressed him in Tibetan to start off the dialogue which is why people all around are palpably amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment