Wednesday 20 November 2019

MY MOTHERLAND ... 10



MY MOTHERLAND ... 10

The more I get to know about European atrocity on the Indians, their deceitful dealings in the colonisation of India and their arrogance in thrusting their religion on us, the more I feel a repugnance for their culture and a terrible revulsion for all the corruption they have brought to our country. I simply cannot bring myself to forgiving them for their dastardly deeds. Thus, Anglophilia -- or, ought I to dub it Europhilia in general, for the Portuguese were no less barbaric than the British -- is, constitutionally and by conditioning, as alien to me as my shadow is to my form at midday. I simply abhor this abject imitation of western culture in all its decadent mode and pity those countrymen who have lost their oriental bearings in infatuated pursuit of the Anglo-American culture.

When I see so many of our students settle in the West and forget their motherland quite so easily after having received the best of the academic resources of the country, I feel a sense of betrayal of the motherland by them. It then seems that my life has gone in vain as my youthful hours of diligent labour and fond expectations of building the motherland have been belied by this traitorous lot of migrants leaving the country for money and position. My desperation then knows no bounds and drives me to a renewal of my resolve to build the motherland by spending every ounce of my energy towards awakening my countrymen. My caustic words of censure and condemnation, roaring reminder of the nation's heritage and the citizens' obligation to uphold it through its observance, my intrepid exhortations to my countrymen of their responsibilities and duties towards the sustenance and flourishing of the national life, are my response to the perfidies of the times which may not quite sit well with the average run of self-seeking humanity but assuredly must carry its message to countless souls whose faces are unknown to me but whose hearts beat to the same pulsations as mine and with the same theme of the common good of our country.

Written by Sugata Bose

No comments:

Post a Comment