Monday 15 February 2021

COMING FROM DIVERSE QUARTERS -- THE VOICE OF THE CITIZENS

COMING FROM DIVERSE QUARTERS -- THE VOICE OF THE CITIZENS

AS A HINDU DEVOTEE : In my last moment when I leave this world, I hope I may not be compelled to listen to the loudspeaker azaan (Islamic call to prayer) and be distracted thus, that I may be allowed the repose of quiet recollection of my Lord, the way I know Him. That as well is my democratic right. Is it not?
AS A STUDENT : My Board Examinations are coming. I hope I do not make mistakes in my mathematical calculations while I am being forced to listen to the loudspeaker azaan (Islamic call to prayer). I hope I do not have to suspend writing my paper, waiting for the prayer call to be over before I can resume in peace, and, so, do not run short of time in finishing my paper. I am a student. Am I also a citizen with the democratic right to read and write in peace?
AS A MEDICAL SURGEON : I have to operate on the human brain or the human heart. The job is delicate, difficult and dangerous, and any lapse of concentration on my part may prove fatal for the patient. Do I have the right to operate in peace? Do my patients, vulnerable as they are, have the right to live? Or, do we only have the obligation to listen to the Islamic call for prayer (azaan) even at such critical moments concerning life and death? Are we equal citizens of this state and country as well?

Written by Sugata Bose

No comments:

Post a Comment