Wednesday 3 April 2019

A LETTER TO A CAUSTIC FRIEND

Dear Aranibhas Babu,

Let the discourse be kept civil so that the points you are making make better sense to your audience and do not sour their taste for further deliberations. If you are armed well in argument, I do not see the necessity for you to enter into vitriol like this. It is unwarranted and better not engaged in. So, I request you to present your points on the basis of hard evidence instead of either casting aspersions on the leading lights of bygone days or making gross references to dietary preferences of communities in order to drive home your point on communal politics. Surely, your esteemed self will appreciate what I am saying, for I do so out of a great sense of honour and respect for you. Accept my regards and continue to illumine us on the early days of the Indian revolution.

I may further add that your style deems it necessary, perhaps, to throw the dart thus at Gandhi, Jinnah, Savarkar and the like but I would hasten to add as well that such darts will miss their mark if they are indiscriminate in direction and not discerning enough in selecting the target audience. Individual preferences and predilections have not much meaning for others and tend to make them shy away from vitriolic discourse thus and it is in this regard as well that I request you to refrain from over-aggressive statements that could be termed not quite parliamentary.

I thank you for your patriotic concerns and passionate feelings for the motherland and look forward to the great series of essays on Barkatullah and the early revolution with eagerness and anticipation.

Yours sincerely,
Sugata Bose.

Photo : Maulana Barkatullah Bhopali, India's first Prime Minister (Provisional Government)

No comments:

Post a Comment