Saturday 15 April 2023

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR WORLDLY COMPROMISE IN THOSE THAT ASPIRE FOR SPITITUALITY


THERE IS NO ROOM FOR WORLDLY COMPROMISE IN THOSE THAT ASPIRE FOR SPITITUALITY 


There is a crisis in the world today. I see hardly any monk or nun who can charge up the youth with the fiery idealism of Swamiji. There is none among those that preach who quite live the principles they preach. In the name of spirituality much that is worldly is dished out. The ideal is diluted. The fire is missing. Hence this tragic consequence.


Swamiji used to say after the manner reported of Christ, "My words are spirit and fire. They will eat into your brains and you will never get away from them." I can testify to the veracity of this statement made by Swamiji to his American disciples. He caught me in his net in my early youth and his words bore their way into my brain. And why brain? They bore their way into my very soul and have held me captive ever since, the captivity releasing me into limpid spaces of freedom where neither death is nor birth but a quiet assurance tinged in knowledge of the ephemeral nature of phenomenal life.


We must not dilute truth nor water down the ideal set forth before us by Thakur. We have to live up to it or suffer. Must we? Never. Can lions be caged forever? 


Written by (Sugata Bose)

No comments:

Post a Comment