Wednesday 11 May 2022

SISTER NIVEDITA'S LETTER TO MISS JOSEPHINE MACLEOD, MARCH, 1899


SISTER NIVEDITA'S LETTER TO MISS JOSEPHINE MACLEOD, MARCH, 1899


"I wish you could have heard him towards the end. ... He said, '... as long as you go on mixing with that [Tagore] family, Margot, I must go on sounding this gong. Remember that that family has poured a flood if erotic venom over Bengal.' Then he described some of their poetry. 'But a man who has left his own mother could not be tempted like that --- and just you remember --- if you long for the flesh pots of Egypt --- my mission is not Ramakrishna's nor Vedanta's nor anything but simply to bring MANHOOD to this people." "I'll help you, Swami," I said. "I know it," he said --- "And so I beat the alarm."


N.B. Here Swami Vivekananda has been referred to with the pronoun 'he'.

No comments:

Post a Comment