Thursday 2 August 2018

IN RESPONSE TO A READER WHO HAS ASKED ME TO CLARIFY WHY I HAVE RAISED A CERTAIN QUESTION WHICH RUNS THUS :


IN RESPONSE TO A READER WHO HAS ASKED ME TO CLARIFY WHY I HAVE RAISED A CERTAIN QUESTION WHICH RUNS THUS :

(Sugata Bose)
Q. Why do people always refer to a Muslim by his religious denomination but not a Hindu or a Christian or a Buddhist by such?

(Reader)
Counter-question : Why are you asking such questions? What's the objectivity?

(Sugata Bose)
A. I keep asking questions to keep the intellectual discourse alive on diverse subjects. It is my prerogative as a thinker to keep asking my thinking friends to cogitate on the issues and respond. Deliberation, discussion and debate are the soul of a vibrant democracy and keep its pulse beating for citizens to match their life's frequencies. How one receives these questions depends on the inclination and attitude of the reader. So far as I am concerned, I feel that questioning has been a glorious tradition dating from Vedic times that has made India the cradle of the world's spiritual civilisation, and it is basic to human civilisation in general as well. All scientific, philosophical and artistic movements have a question about life and Nature as their basis. And, in so far as a people have kept positing questions before Nature, in proportion to it has been their advancement as a culture. However, there are some who cannot bear to receive questions in the right spirit for obvious lack of understanding of the comprehensive intent of an idea and it is these that summarily question the questioner as to his intent instead on brooding on it deeper to arrive at its analytic and synthetic elements. It were better, therefore, if these counter-questioners were to contemplate deeper --- assuming they have the time to do so beyond making cursory comments --- on the entire spectrum of an idea posited by a writer and benefiting, I dare say, in terms of receiving insights into it. However, just as I am free to question, you are to free to question me, too, and I have here insufficiently answered you, for, to answer you wholly as to my objective in questioning thus would necessitate writing a treatise on the subject for which I do not consider my questioner as adequately inclined a recipient. May God bless, my friend, for eliciting this response which will go up as my next post. Thank you for reading my posts, hopefully, --- for I do not have adequate evidence at my disposal to be certain about it --- and thank you for your comment by way of primary response to my post.

Written by Sugata Bose

No comments:

Post a Comment