Monday 5 March 2018

PLEAD I GUILTY TO THE CHARGE, MY LORD!



My essays and short pieces are all written in good intent, inspired by the ideal of service to the motherland and not for self-promotion as some are alleging. Neither am I a hypocrite who preaches but practises not, for I have spent a lifetime practising the precepts that I today preach, not for self-promotion but for sincere service to the motherland, for clarification of concepts and presentation of facts, often beyond ordinary reach, right at your doorstep as Swamiji had exhorted his would-be preachers to do. In this exercise I have to spend night and day, losing sleep, impairing eyesight and losing out on opportunities of improving my lot in life, that is, on the personal front, which I, through my constrained circumstances, nonetheless welcome, knowing it to be the least I can do for my motherland. But, hypocrite, self-promoter, strategist to induce a following, certainly I am not.

I am not a politician by vocation or in spirit. I call a spade a spade, not because I prefer to do so but because I have no choice in the matter, composed as I am not to compromise on principles. Swami Vivekananda had famously said, "Truth does not pay homage to any society, ancient or modern. Society has to pay homage to Truth or die." It is in keeping with this principle that I try to lift myself, ever in error, to the level of the ideal and never ever attempt to lower the ideal to suit my level. Accordingly, I do not water down the truths that I preach which are nothing but echoes of what Ramakrishna-Vivekananda have pronounced on the contentious issues of life and death and the beyond, adding to them my reflections and realisations on the same and adorning them in a beauteous apparel as befits the expression of eternal truths. If such straight-talk ruffles feathers making some uncomfortable in their practised worldliness, they ought to thank their stars that their conscience is still awake to the beatings of the Eternal Word and desist from self-despoliation by calling me names and carping criticism at me which in no way will improve their lot. If to articulate what Ramakrishna-Vivekananda have said about the various issues of life, without adulterating their message and so diluting its impact, has been an offence in the eyes of the polity, I plead guilty to the charge, My Lord. Now pronounce your judgement, O Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment