Friday 16 October 2020

A RESOLVE IN THE CENTENARY OF MY GURU PANDIT AJOY SINHA ROY


A RESOLVE IN THE CENTENARY OF MY GURU PANDIT AJOY SINHA ROY

We as a group of music lovers have the responsibility to uphold great musical culture and I exhort all members to take up this task of supporting and promoting classical music of the highest order, beginning with patronage of the early artistes of merit to getting established musicians -- I mean musicians and not those mercenaries masquerading as such and minting money by dishing out popular entertainment in the name of classical music -- to set the bar for what may be termed true music bearing the highest tradition of the ages. I propose to set up a music circle in memory of my Guru Pandit Ajoy Sinha Roy and do whatever I can with my meagre means to gradually let this process of patronage of talent and merit take its due course so that in time to come it will help flower what is now seeming to be getting lost in the mire of material craving, this pure pristine music that takes the light of the very raag to let it shine in its truest colour. This may be a difficult task to begin with but with the blessings of my Guru and with Swami Vivekananda's blessings I am convinced it will soon take shape and bring to life the now almost lingering last strains of pure music in a world tainted by popular misrepresentations of it, especially by those very ones who ought to have been the guardians of this otherwise dying tradition of musical excellence.

Written by Sugata Bose

No comments:

Post a Comment