Thursday 3 August 2017

LOVE-LETTER OF NETAJI?

Is this love-letter that is claimed to have been penned by Subhas Chandra Bose and apparently addressed to Emilie Schenkl authentic? The handwriting seems to be that of Subhas Chandra but the content of the letter seems so very uncharacteristic of his puritanical self cultivated over a lifetime of abstinence from normal human desires with respect to the opposite gender. It is baffling to me and I seek clarification from someone who is knowledgeable about this issue and who may help clear my confusion.

It is so unlike Netaji's persoanlity as we know it to be. But then inscrutable are the ways of the Lord and, so, who knows what may have chanced in his real life as opposed to that of the sublime conceptual life that his die-hard followers are apt to giving him to suit their sense of heroic perfection born out of their own inadequacies. I do not know for sure, hence, I seek guidance from the ones that know. My prostration at Netaji's feet, nonetheless, whatever be the reality of this letter.

Other than the emotional effusions, the letter seems to bear out his personality somewhat when he switches from romantic talk abruptly to sterner patriotic stuff. This, of course, I understand on a second reading after the initial shock of the intimacy evident in the first paragraph of the letter, for I am so programmed from childhood to attributing a sort of semi-divinity to Netaji that I was jolted out of the letter and failed to initially give it the due reading.

However, the lingering doubt persists and cogitation continues till a settled conclusion is arrived at and the truth becomes apparent in all its brutal correctness.

No comments:

Post a Comment