Monday 28 January 2019

IN CONVERSATION WITH A COMFORTING COLLEAGUE

IN CONVERSATION WITH A COMFORTING COLLEAGUE

Sugata Bose : They who brought me into this world --- father and mother are both gone, father in 1996 and mother just the other day. Orphaned am I ? No, they are a perennial presence now.

Sameer Banik : Don't repent Sir. It's the law of nature. No one can escape from this. We often pray to the Almighty that we may not have to witness the death of our parents in our lifetime. But this wish has dangerous consequences. In such scenario our parents will have to witness our deaths. Nothing can be more painful than this. We must be thankful to God that otherwise didn't happen in our lives.

Sugata Bose : I agree with you. The other scenario would have been catastrophic, and my parents had to endure such pain when my elder brother died at the age of 5 years and 7 months from leukaemia on the very lap of my 26 year old mother. She lived past 86 to carry that pain with her. Hope they are all united now and there is cessation of that pain in separation from us. 

And what separation am I referring to? It is but a temporary withdrawal before the spiritual eye opening unites us all in a common kinship in the deep-seated Self that is the unifying link of us all, the ground of all existence.

Sometimes, Sameer, it seems I am a bit heartless as I keep making scriptural references and seem to have lost my emotional bearings, but, then, late in the night when the lights have been dimmed and the world sleeps, the gnawing pain of separation unites in the flow of spontaneous feeling and mother and father make fresh visitations in the deep dark and fulfil me with their spiritual presence. Then their altered image in the mind's eye assumes divine proportions and makes their selves indistinguishable from the Holy Trinity I worship as my life's ideals. I then get to see how ancestor worship arose in the earliest times of human civilisation and how elevated truly the givers of our terrestrial forms are. It is a sad separation but a worthwhile one that eternally unites us to our parents in true identification of their divine selves. Separation then assumes a wider significance as tears ennoble the being unto a realisation that ordinarily remains covered in the lifetime of one's parents.

Such is the predicament of life and human ignorance and such is its replenishing return in demise that destroys form only to rebuild the eternal edifice of it in our expanding consciousness. 

May all bereaved ones be comforted ! May all else rush to the help of those in need ! May humanity be quickened in life and in death !

Written by Sugata Bose

No comments:

Post a Comment