Sunday 15 October 2017

A CASE FOR HOLMES, I GUESS


Are people that gullible that they cannot imagine anybody in the public arena holding a microphone and speaking before an august assembly as also writing tolerable English, bearing a name given by the parents of such a one which fortuitously matches that of a more illustrious namesake of a premier family of the nation, thanks to the greatness of a singular person belonging to it by Providential decree, that they must confuse the hapless one with the other? Is it so wrong to be oneself with one's image in optical beams spread out for all to see while one does not feel yet the necessity of altering one's name to suit the fancies of these gullible ones? How is it that in an independent country, especially in a State where people pride themselves in their intelligence and culture, heritage and a common belonging, so many of you get deluded by this fantastic notion that I am not what I am and that someone else is not himself but me? And I mention this yet again for this constant barrage of me masquerading as someone else continues unabated. I was told by an eminent one to declare that I am unrelated to Netaji and so did I forthwith. Yet, the saga continues. I have come now to live with it but am most displeased when lectured by some that I have committed the crime of using someone else's photograph as profile of mine to gain a foothold in the public space. It is abhorrent to hear such superior advice for inferior they are by their very flaw. Pardon me if I work you up but, pray, sincerely ask yourself this question, how many of you need an optical check or a discerning eye to distinguish well which is which and which is not, which the truth and which is fake?
Written by Sugata Bose

No comments:

Post a Comment