Tuesday 11 July 2017

A DIALOGUE BETWEEN MADHURI BOSE AND MYSELF

Madhuri Bose Could someone explain why this resistance to the idea of Netaji being married?

Sugata Bose Perhaps, because of his earlier ascetic tendencies, lack of documentary evidence in the public eye and a national propensity towards glorification of the celibate life of renunciation coupled with extreme adulation of Netaji bordering on the divine in public estimation --- all these, I guess, are the reasons why Netaji is wishfully imagined to have remained forever unmarried and a brahmachari. Moreover, he had never publicly avowed that he had married, that is why also may be. He used to call the INA personnel his children. He had earlier said that he had no time to marry. Moreover, people are of the view that he could never have married till independence had been achieved. These are not my views but are in compliance with your query from what I gather from my public correspondence about the matter whenever the conversation takes place. Also, I hear that his passport mentions him being single and, so, unmarried. That could be yet another reason. However, please understand that these are not my personal views for I have no stand as such on the matter. Marriage was possible for Buddha, Chaitanya and Ramakrishna. So, it is not impossible for Netaji also. But public perception varies largely on this issue with different sections of people taking their respective stands. Overall, though, I feel this resistance to Netaji being married stems from reverence for him and not irreverence at all, although, in the process of making definite statements about something that is not readily known beyond reposing faith in the matter, one may be inadvertently and often quite deliberately also doing his kith and kin grave injustice. Better it will be to keep these views private and absorb the great spirit of Netaji for in that constitutes the true well-being of the individual and the nation, and why not, humanity as well.

Madhuri Bose Sugata, What can one say?

Sugata Bose : Why do you not take an in depth interview of Aunt Anita if there is occasion for it? It could remain as a historical document.She has a marvellous intellect, so very refined that you could leave behind for posterity a great piece of appreciation of Netaji and the freedom movement should you be able to get her to talk.

Sugata Bose : Have given a detailed answer to your question.I hope they will now stop all this.

Madhuri Bose : Yes. I came to know my great-aunt Emilie very well. I developed deep respect for the person she was and it is most hurtful when I read the rubbish.

Sugata Bose : I can understand.

Sugata Bose : A good rejoinder.

Madhuri Bose : Thanks.

Sugata Bose : But please take the interview of your aunt Anita if possible. That will remain an asset for posterity. She is simply brilliant with an effusive glow to her intellect which baffles my human understanding as to how someone may be so subtle and sensitive in intellectual expression.

Madhuri Bose : We do plan to write jointly but she is very preoccupied now taking care of the refugees who have been pouring into Germany.

Sugata Bose : Oh I see. But do persuade her to spare some time for this project which excites me even to contemplate. I wish I could have met her once. It would have been such an occasion and I surely would have interviewed her on her entire understanding of historical events, especially those related to India.

Madhuri Bose : When she visits Kolkata next time I could arrange for such an interview.

Sugata Bose : Oh, that will be heaven.

Sugata Bose : Interviewers bungle so badly that I feel desperate then to be in their shoes. So much may be elicited from this grand old lady of venerable bearing and fabulous fluidity of thinking, almost seamless in her casual comprehension of large events of history that I just crave for one such occasion when I could take an in-depth interview of her for the entire world to be able to appreciate her genius.

Madhuri Bose : Good, I shall definitely try to organise such a meeting with you.

Sugata Bose : Thanks Madhuridi.

Madhuri Bose : You are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment