Tuesday 1 September 2020

SUBHAMITA [BANERJEE]


SUBHAMITA [BANERJEE]

This song will last forever in the annals of Bengali music. The sheer sublimity of rendition, the magical evocative poetry of matchless appeal, the fullness of musical composition replete with perfect interludes have all combined to make for a masterpiece of artistic endeavour the like of which is seldom seen and must be held with our hearts' ardour whenever it surfaces on the horizon of life. 

The singer is one that visits the musical scene once in several generations and I say this not from mere emotional effusion but from a considered estimation of her considerable repertoire in Hindustani classical music whose derivatives play a part prominent in her performances and form the foundation of the efflorescence of her musical genius. The deft touches of notes, the velvet voice gliding over the phrases with effortless ease, the cadences with their rise and fall uniting heaven and earth in a love-bond celestial, the words unharnessed and flowing free in lyrical delight like love-moods seeking alternate attention till in resolved synthesis they blend into oneness, the sophistication of presentation redolent of a cultured upbringing and awakened sensibilities, have all lent their significant elemental contributions to the blossoming of this beautiful dream.

It is a director's delight, this song, that leaves no space for vacuum to play foul but is filled in every bit of it with instrumental interludes, brief and blissful, lending wholeness to the harmony that is the hallmark of this masterly composition. And, yet, through all this, the dewdrop remains the singer as she reflects a universe of dreams in her shining self that catches the first colours of the stellar beams, the drop of rain that precariously undulates on the freshened green, the gleaming light that steals through the parted clouds, here rent, there peeling off in the drifting breeze, and in the rainbow that lights up her life and love in an unspelt, inarticulate, benumbing joy. There for us is Subhamita, the queen of melody, the voice of the hour, the inspiration of millions and the pathfinder for posterity.

With reference to your rendition of 'Dekhechho ki takey...'.

Written by Sugata Bose

P.S. : I have also sent you a friend request. You have not accepted it, though, as yet.

You must chronicle your life well from your days of musical inception. It will be of inspirational and historical value for posterity. I do not know, though, if you have already made any effort towards doing so. In case you have not, please get to noting down essential details before memory fails to chronicle events as they really stood.

I have composed many Bengali songs and Hindi bandishes since early youth but have never been able to get someone to record them for I was waiting all these decades for a voice to turn up that had the capacity to give expression to my compositions. Would you care to record them if you like them? You alone can do justice to the songs. Lyrics and music score are both mine but I am innocent or instrument organisation as goes with recording. Almost all the songs are naturally oriented towards raag music.

Please do not misunderstand me for my forthright approach. I am a simple human being and do not know the intricacies of social behaviour that waits, for I have waited for decades. Also, do not be under any compulsion to give me audience as I depend wholly on Sri Ramakrishna for every movement of my life including your response or otherwise.

To apprise you further, I had telephoned you on your mobile today to speak to you about this but the gentleman who held the phone intimated me that I ought to ring you after 10 July when he will, if you are then available, make room for me to talk to you. I thought that this was necessary to tell you as it concerns you. I will ring only if you wish me to. The mobile no. incidentally I chanced to get from your website.

These songs I have held to myself for a long long time and will die with me unless someone suitable records them for the wider public to hear.

Poetry I compose as well but can publish them whenever I wish. But music of the sort that I can envisage in my inner ear is not what I can deliver with my limited repertoire ans so I seek your cooperation. In this way Bengali music suffers for want of support.

One more thing. I listened to the full set of eight songs in Ghalibnama. Your renditions have been often exquisite there but I am not sure if the album will be popular as the songs are slow-paced and not set to prancing rhythm, as can be only expected from the fact that they are ghazal renditions. Also, it seemed to me that they are a trifle lifeless and lack quite the vibrancy of your normal songs except, of course, '...kangalpanai...' one which will be tremendous hit. May be a couple more could make the mark as I cannot right now quite recall the tunes.

You must guard your voice against overmuch of scale variations as may be the requirement for popular music presentation. Rigorous practice also may be affected by frequent travels and tour commitments.

This is the age when the voice in many suffer a decline and, in your case, you must definitely not invite such a situation where your mellifluous voice suffers an irreparable decline.

Try and publish an album of Hindustani classical bandishes, only eight drut khayal or a combination of thumri, dadra, kajri , chaiti, etc. which are, may be, your forte. Remember, Indian classical music also has a claim on you. So, perform in conferences whenever possible and if you are inclined to it, of course.

This talent that you possess is a carryover of your sanskar rolling down several births and must be nurtured to the fullest extent. Preservation of talent such as yours ought to be our national priority. Unfortunately, not many can look beyond their own selfish little dreams and allow great talent to perish for want of patronage or support whichever way you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment